Thursday, June 28, 2012

This One is for My Students

Hello all,

I have been working in my current school district for 8 years. Most of those were spent at the elementary level but this year I was moved to the Junior High. They are two VERY different worlds.

One thing I love about teaching junior high students is their obvious need for social interactions with each other, their teachers, their coaches...you name it. These kids love to talk. At the junior high, I have an office (yes!) and it is rare that students aren't lurking about. They love to hang out and share their lives and I enjoy indulging them when I can. I even had the great pleasure of teaching two cousins of mine and I loved getting to know them better.

As soon as we were matched with Hugo, I put a picture of him on my wall next to the photos of my other children. That generated a lot of conversation, questions, and plenty of oohs and aahs. They wanted to know everything about him and made me promise that I would bring him in to visit when he came home. On the few occasions that my kids have stopped by for a brief visit, the students have made a big fuss over them and treated them with kindness and respect. I know they will do the same for Hugo.

Thank you JH music students. From the FLEX group to the 7th grade e-time buddies to the piano lab students and all the band members - you have been so kind to me. At a time in your lives when you need someone to show genuine interest in your life, you showed interest in my family and made me feel welcome in a new building. I'm glad you were there to share in the adventure and to even offer ideas on names.

I appreciate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment