Tuesday, June 19, 2012

So Excited!

If you've talked to Rebekah or me in the past couple of months, it's likely that we told you about our adoption.  As adoptions go, we're learning that ours is moving along quite rapidly.  We're really excited and there's almost always something new to report.

For our kids, however, the idea of a brother who is currently living in Africa and is going to come here, well, sometime, is a bit abstract. They know all about Hugo, we talk about him everyday, we pray for him daily, and we discuss what it (might) be like for him to come into our family. It's understandable, though, that neither they - nor we - really know what to expect. 

The kids are excited to have a new brother! They love looking at the pictures we have, they come running when we play the video we have, and they talk about him every day. 

We are a homeschooling family, but we've finished our schoolwork for the year. When they saw me opening the school cupboard, where we keep our school supplies and books, they got a little bit nervous. Even so, they were happy to write a letter to Hugo because it helps them to feel like they are actually doing something in this very grown-up process. 

Our oldest son is 7 and he's s-u-p-e-r  excited to finally have a roommate: 


Our daughter, 5, had this to say: 


(Dear Hugo, I'm excited to teach you how to ride a bike. I love you. heart heart heart.) 

And she made this drawing of our family: 




Our 4 year-old was only told to draw a picture, but she asked her big brother to help her write. Here's what she came up with:

(I am excited to get you)


The little one wanted to be a part of the action, too: 





Thanks for sharing our journey with us!

6 comments:

  1. This post made me teary eyed! What a blessing you already are to Hugo and him to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb, for the great comment and for the idea, too. I'm really glad we have these letters before he comes. I have the originals saved in the binders in which I save their best artwork.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Seana. Did I hear you are coming to town this summer? When?

      Delete
  3. I love this!! Such a wonderful idea! And so cute! In Stella's drawing, is Hugo the pink person next to Jason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marissa, I'm pretty sure it goes: Stella, Bea, Hugo, Henry, me, Jason, Mabel Jane. (:

      Delete