Sunday, March 3, 2013

Goats and Divas

I am writing this at 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 3. I have been home from work for six weeks and tomorrow is my first day back. I am not dreading it because I knew this day would come and I know I am returning to a job that is a gift from the Lord. I'd be lying, though, if I didn't mention that I'd love to stay home permanently.

I really wish I could get paid to be home with my family.

This has been an amazing six weeks. The first week was spent overseas and the next five just being together and adjusting to our new reality of seven people under one roof. We've all grown immensely - through successes and failures - and the Lord has helped us at every step.

Yesterday was one of the busiest days I can ever remember. We started the day early, as usual, when the littles rolled out of bed around 6:30. We ate breakfast quickly and get ready for the day (no small feat with five kids) and headed out to the Family Fun Fest at the local mall. There were tons of vendors offering handouts for the kids, crafting stations, games, and stuff the kids generally think is pretty fun. We left there at noon, ran home for a quick lunch, then headed off to the junior high for the second of two performances of the JH musical, Teens in Tinseltown. Henry and Stella were in the show and I was directing the pit orchestra. After the musical, there was a cast party, then a run to the local ice cream shop (didn't matter that it was only 28 degrees outside), then home to get the kids to bed. After that, Rebekah and I went on a date (more about that later).

At the Fun Fest, there was a petting zoo that featured Hugo's favorite animal. That's right folks, there were goats. In the mall. You probably remember from the video of our time in Ghana what Hugo thinks of goats. The terrifying goat living at the guest house was about ten inches tall. This goat was twice Hugo's size. He took one look and just shook his head.

The farmer who owned the goats was actually a friend of mine. He doubles as a teacher at one of the local elementary schools and, in one of those "small world" moments of life, served in the military with my brother. He very kindly picked up a much smaller goat that I hadn't seen at first and held it tightly for the kids to touch. A kid for the kids.

Very unexpectedly, this happened:



He actually touched the goat. I couldn't believe it. This boy has come so far in the last six weeks. There are so many fears that have just disappeared from his life. More to go too but I am confident that the Lord is helping him shed them all.

Now to the date.

Months ago, it was announced that Renee Fleming, the world's greatest living operatic soprano would be performing locally. She was, in fact, born in our town and her parents attended the university here. Despite this being her birthplace, she had never performed here and likely never will again. Her normal venues include the world's grandest opera houses. She has performed at the Olympics, at Nobel Prize ceremonies, presidential inaugurations, and recently on the balcony of Buckingham Palace for Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebration. She is the only woman in the history of the Metropolitan Opera to have her name solo headline the opening night of a season.

We saw the concert advertised for March 2 and didn't buy tickets because we didn't know when Hugo was coming home. Then Hugo was home and we didn't buy tickets because we thought for sure we wouldn't be able to leave him with a babysitter. Then Hugo started sleeping like a champ.

I bought tickets.

She was absolutely incredible. Several times during the concert, Rebekah and I looked at each other with this "am-I-really-hearing-this?" look on our faces. It seemed surreal.

A goat in the morning and an opera diva in the evening. This was a day of contrasts. It's been a month and a half of contrasts. In fact, it's been a whole life of contrasts.

I'm thankful to be living the life the Lord has made for me.

Psalm 138:8 - The Lord will work out His plans for my life - because your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment