Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day Two - Sunday, January 20

The flight to Amsterdam was the best one of the trip. Actually, it was the best one of my whole life. I flew KLM which I highly recommend - very friendly, clean, and comfortable. In Pittsburgh, I had received boarding passes for just the first two legs of the flight, so as I boarded in JFK, I asked the KLM attendant when I would receive the pass for the final leg. He took my boarding pass and asked me to wait where I was standing. I watched as he tapped away on a computer, then ripped up my current pass and printed a new one. He returned and said, "I still can't print your next boarding pass so you'll have to ask in Amsterdam. But I gave you an upgrade."

An upgrade! I felt like I just won a prize on a game show. It wasn't first class or anything but the new seat had tons of leg room and a big, comfy seat. I almost didn't want to sleep so I could enjoy the plush seat but, alas, the seat itself convinced me otherwise. Not long after we were airborne, I was sound asleep. I don't even really know how long the flight was because I woke up with only 37 minutes to go. A passing flight attendant saw that I was finally awake and said, "Now that's the way to travel."

I've read that the Amsterdam airport frequently tops the list of the world's best and I believe it. It was architecturally interesting, had lots of options for food and shopping, and had an art museum right in the middle. I had a short layover here but wanted to find a coffee and an internet connection. Despite everyone being asleep at home, I was glad to find a friend online. Hannah Thomas, our friend from home who is now living in London was awake and home from church with her baby boy. We chatted on facebook and I let her know what was going on. She promised to pray for us and I left the conversation feeling good about having "talked" with a friend despite being on a different continent.

I found the gate and finally figured out the boarding pass issue. With a newly minted pass (no upgrade this time), I boarded the plane for Accra. It had started to snow in Amsterdam so we made a brief stop to de-ice the plane, then we were on our way. I couldn't believe it but I fell asleep on this flight too. There were still several hours to go when I woke up so I passed the time with a movie that kept switching to the french language option every time the pilot made an announcement. I gave up on the movie and watched the Sahara Desert pass miles below the plane. I felt so much different than the last time I traveled to Ghana. Then, I had no idea what Hugo would be like and I was very nervous. This time, I new exactly what to expect and I couldn't wait to see him again.

Boat was waiting for me on the other side of baggage claim in Accra and it was great to see him. We walked right out on to the street where he had a taxi waiting and we set off for Kasoa. After the cold weather I had become accustomed to at home, it felt great to put the windows down and feel the warm evening breeze in Accra's tropical climate. The smell in the air was lovely in its familiarity - wood fires and fried plantains. It was after 8 p.m. local time and the temperature was hovering around the mid 80's. It must have been a long day for Boat, because he fell asleep on the way.

The day ended in a very familiar location - in the guest house at Hugo's orphanage. Jacob, a young man who took care of Rebekah and I during the first trip, was there to oversee things again and I was so pleased. He is seventeen years old and one of the kindest young men I've ever met. He is soft spoken and caring. I gave him a big hug and told him how happy I was to see him.

Jacob brought dinner and it was the usual cabbage and noodles. It tasted great after a long day of travel and Boat and I dug in. Afterward, I unpacked which mostly consisted of checking to make sure nothing was damaged and hiding any snacks that I didn't want Hugo to find all at once. Faith International Adoptions (our adoption agency) provided us with a phone for use in Ghana and after I got that "topped up" as they say, I managed to call home and let Rebekah know that I had arrived safely. Then it was off to bed to try and get some sleep.

Tomorrow I'd get to see Hugo again and this time I wouldn't have to take him back.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I made it into the blog!! Love reading your story Jason! Can't wait for day 3!!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is so wonderful that you let us share your experience day by day. Thank you Jason!

    ReplyDelete